Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Thread tizz

Having volunteered to machine quilt several quilts for the Queensland Quilters Flood effort, I am in a tizz over thread! I tried to use machine quilting thread purchased several years ago, thread that is thicker than I now normally use, thread that I thought I could use up and never buy again! I thought that I could use it in the bobbin as well - big mistake.... wrong! I ended up unpicking a bit then using my favourite Bottom Line in the bobbin, much better effect. The moral of this story is -if you are going to do it- do it well. Save yourself the agony of handing in a half hearted job, one that you will be unhappy with. The quilt I am working on has been donated by a quilter, the fabric is pretty, the design simple but pretty. Will post a picture when it is done.

My next challenge is to make a piece for the on line group Around the World in 20 Quilts, a challenge to use a colour that I do not normally use. I chose this range of fabrics in prints I do not normally use, soft pastels, something I would never buy for myself. Still thinking about this, it is due atthe end of the month, hopefully by the end of this week I will have a finished piece. Soft and pastel, not loud and unexpected. hmmm might end up to be unexpected.

1 comment: