Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Leaves

After a week in Cairns with my mother I have come back rested and inspired. The vegetation in Queensland and more so in Cairns is vastly different from Tasmania where I spent the first 40 something years of my life! The Cairns Botanic gardens so different and lush and green.
There are large shiny leaves with remarkable shapes and colours. I am inspired to use these shapes in a quilt, maybe a sampler of leaves...


I also went on a helicopter ride - over reefs, islands and lots of blue water.
The snorkelling was fantastic - didn't have an underwater camera -sorry! my sister dragged me around by the hand when I got baffled with the snorkel, which made it worse as I got the giggles every time she held my hand - like crossing the road! then I got a face full of water.... In the end I got it and really enjoyed the relaxation, peace and serenity of the underwater world.
Such diverse colours and shapes under the water, so many fun fish, why have I never done this before? must go again soon.
Now to prepare the pieces for the Coorparoo Quilters Exhibition in a few weeks, and get cracking on my other unfinished pieces. Lots of cat hair to remove and hangers to sew on etc.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back home. Lots of these leaves are at the Mt Cootha Botanical Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a new series or a development on your old one?

    ReplyDelete