Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Farmers Wife blocks 55, 56 & 57 and some distractions

 I have been distracted this past week, a lot of busy shifts at work- a baby boom!
Planning for the Sydney Craft and Quilt Fair where I am one of Bernina's guest artists! demonstrating ruler work on the Q20- I am really excited and a little nervous!
Below is one of my sample pieces, a mandala style quilt, made for a competition where it did not fare well.... so it will be on display with some other works at the various craft and quilt fairs as part of the Bernina stand.
Below is a modern improv cross quilt, my husband decided that these shirts were too big and too old for him now, so I cut them all up and made a fun improvised cross quilt. I had a moment in the night where I remembered the yellow shirt, 
it was just perfect for some light relief.
The quilting is coming along nicely, and the back is so much fun. Another picture next time!
 Yesterday I made 3 blocks for the Farmers Wife. I dug a little deeper into the box for some different fabrics, it seems as though some days I just skim the top of the fabric selection. I really need to tip it all out and mix them up a little. I also need some more really light fabric, perhaps I will see some this weekend in Sydney at the quilt show!
 I often wonder if I am better to hand piece some of these blocks with many small pieces, then I think that - just get on and machine piece, its not too bad. I do use a fair bit of spray starch and find that I do get some shiny areas, they will wash out I hope.
 This has been a really good exercise in putting different prints together, I am usually afraid of choosing more than one print, so this project making me think outside my little square and be brave  in my fabric choice decisions!
 This block is a little fun, I just love the  black with red!
Hopefully I will see some old friends in Sydney!
I am really looking forward to 4 days of sewing, and hopefully some wonderful inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment