Sunday, June 11, 2017

Accurate seam allowances- Farmer's Wife

Two blocks this week in my Farmers Wife quilt, I am at the halfway mark now!

 These blocks require precise cutting and piecing!


Hmmm, I am not sure about the fabric choices here!

I visited the Ipswich Art Gallery this week to view the Annette Gero  Wartime quilts, one of the most amazing things was the piecing accuracy achieved by the makers- mostly men. The fabrics were thick, the pieces quite small, yet the accuracy was quite amazing! 
Obviously they were hand stitched, no rotary cutters, and probably a paper or cardboard pattern- which can quite often become misshaped or trimmed unexpectedly to result in an odd sized pattern!
These quilts are quite amazing given the conditions they were made in.

Even with today's conveniences of stitching, many quilters - including me sometimes - are unable to achieve that repeated perfection with piecing.

No comments:

Post a Comment